August 4, 2011

The Worst Room In The House

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my house. It's old, it's quirky, it's lovely. It  has great moldings, doors and built-ins. But the TV room has seen better days.
We added the colour testing patches.

And the junk.

And now for the overhaul. I started with gathering pictures and arranging them on the floor, then hung them on the wall.


You may think that this is a rather backwards way of doing things, but I didn't want to fill in holes in my new paint job if  I didn't get the nail in the right place the first time. Patching and sanding plaster can be messy work! When I was ready to paint, I simply took down the pictures and gently pulled out the nails. When the painting was done, I put the nails back in the holes and rehung the pictures. (I'm not sure you could do this if you have drywall instead of  plaster.) I used the above picture as a reference guide to make sure I got the pictures in the right spot. It worked well.


Down with the pictures and nails, out with the furniture and on with some paint. Some of the furniture got a much needed new coat of paint.

After.

The pictures have been up for a few months now. (Would you believe that I started this post in June?) I love sitting on the couch and looking up at all those charming faces! I didn't realize how much I missed having photos on the walls.

Little Miss' paintings displayed in frames found at the Re-Store. A coat of white paint unified the mismatched frames. There is one spot left for a future materpiece.

One little table painted white.

Books, vintage finds, souvenirs from abroad and a yellow framed painting by Little Miss. You can see the transformation here.

Some rusty, vintage items from my dad's workshop. Remember this post? And Mousey Boy, a friend to Little Miss when she was, well, little.

Of course there is still a little left to do....some paint on the tins and baseboards. But, it's greatly improved, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...