February 18, 2012

Pinterest, Art and an Eleven Year-Old

Well, as many of you know, Little Miss recently celebrated her 11th birthday. We had fun planning it together using Pinterest. We created a board just for her. Great ideas, all in one place. Art. Colour. Fun.

It turned out well, don't you think? The streamer idea came from here. It was easy to do.

Streamers and an embroidery hoop. That's it.

 
Yarn balloons inspired by this. Chalkboard bunting found here.

Loved this idea. But it was too much work and besides, I didn't have any plastic cups. So instead we wrapped lights in bits of streamers.
We made giant versions of these for the loot bags to hold all the goodies.

Little Miss sewed them all by herself.  I'm so proud of her!

Frames all ready to be decorated. The black part of the frames is chalkboard paint so the girls can continue the doodling fun at home.


The photo booth with props waiting to be used.
 Decorating the frames with stamps, markers and stickers.

I love how they turned out! All so pretty. All so different.

Fun in the photo booth.












I think it's safe to say that everyone had a good time!

 And last, but not least, the cake. I love all the rainbow layer cakes that you see, but to be honest, I didn't feel like assembling one, nor do I have 7 cake pans. But then I saw this. I can put all 7 colours into one pan. Right after the art party, the granparents, aunts and uncles came. Two cakes. One round and one made in a bundt pan because, well, I was out of bundt pans. I love how the bundt version turned out! I like it even better than the round version. It looks like a rainbow!

It was easy to do. Make the cake batter. Any white cake recipe will work.  Divide the batter it into 7 small bowls. Add food colouring, one colour per bowl. Make sure you use the gel kind to get vibrant colours. The liquid colouring won't work. Carefully pour the batter into a bundt pan one colour at a time. Bake as usual. When you cut the cake, there will be a rainbow waiting inside. How fun is that?

Sharing here:
Today's Creative Blog
Whipperberry
Dwell On Friday


Visit thecsiproject.com
One Artsy Mama
Happy Go Lucky

8 comments:

  1. wow. what a beautiful birthday party (and cake.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber! The cake was really easy. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow the cake is intense! have to try it:-) the giant candy wrappers, wow!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was a huge hit. So much fun to see the surprise looks when the cake was cut. The adults were even smiling! And so much easier than assembling layers. It was fun to make, I'm sure you would enjoy making one. Thanks again for the inspiration for the giant candy wrappers. The girls thought that they were cool.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow! Everything about this party looks SO fun! I would totally love to go to a party like that even now! Thanks so much for sharing at Shine on Fridays! Featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Thanks for featuring me! What an honour!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim! The party looks like it was tons of fun! I love your photobooth props and how colorful everything was... and that cake! I have always wanted to try baking a rainbow cake but it seemed like so much work (that and I don't own enough pans!) but I am going to try using the method you used... thank you for the tip! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy! The cake was so easy! You should give it a try. So fun.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...