January 25, 2012

Oatmeal Crispies




It's Treat Tuesday once again. I would love to say that when the kids come home from school on Tuesdays, they are eager to bake, but they rarely are. They come to the counter dragging their feet, making excuses of other things to do. But as we begin, something magical happens. They begin to enjoy it. They begin to laugh and goof around. They begin to share their thoughts. This is the part I love most about Treat Tuesdays, the glimpse inside my childrens' hearts and minds.

As they measure and pour, scoop and dump, they talk. And talk. And talk. They say the funniest things. Like margarine is what grandmas use. It's like butter, but fake. (Sorry, Mom!) I don't know where that came from. There's no margarine or butter in this recipe. Just shortening.
Mr. Man was excited to report that oats will help reduce cholesterol and heart disease. "I'm going to eat lots of oatmeal cookies so that my heart is healthy. And I'm going to make these cookies once a week when I'm an adult." Um. I think the sugar and shortening might cancel out the oats, but I'll let him eat cookies anyway.

This is my great-grandmother's recipe. The recipe has been passed down for generations, so you know it's good!

Oatmeal Crispies
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 well beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, throroughly cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients. Add oatmeal.

At this point in the recipe we stop.  Andrew loves raisins. The kids love chocolate chips and well, refuse to eat raisins. So before we go any further, I divide the batter in half. Then I add 1/2 cup of raisins to my bowl and the kids add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to their bowl. Then we continue on.
Drop off a spoon (or roll into balls) onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I use a silpat). Place cookies 1 inch or so apart as they spread. Bake in moderate oven at 350 F for 7 - 8 minutes.  Makes 65 cookies.

Um....I have never gotten 65 cookies out of this recipe. Grandma Davies must have  made them smaller than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...